Dynamically-created product documentation in a web environment
DOC Q is a software solution built on 3-layer architecture. It is accessed by users through the familiar environment of their internet browser.
Architecture of the DOC Q system
DOC Q, dynamic creation of documentation, is based similarly to the eRegis application on the J2EE platform (Java 2, Enterprise Edition), and technologically it consists of 3 layers:
- 1st layer – application server on which the application is installed (we install using Apache Tomcat free software),
- 2nd layer – database server on which your data are centrally administered (we install using IBM – DB2 Express C or MS SQL Server free software),
- 3rd layer – client serving as interface displaying the application (e.g. personal computer, notebook, smart phone, tablet or thin client).
- administration of the application, i.e. updates, upgrades, back-ups – eRegis administration is carried out in one place on the central servers, so changes in the application and in individual entries are available immediately for all users,
- the client needs to use only the minimum of its disk and operating capacities,
- decreasing costs for network use and data flows
Where will the application be installed?
There are two possibilities for the actual location of the Maintenance Management installation. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages.
This possibility is usually the choice of companies which have their own server with space for the application. In this case the server and application admin is done by the particular company’s IT administrator. The main advantage here is that the company’s data “stay at home” rather than travelling unnecessarily around the internet.
For local installation you need:
- a server which meets the following minimum requirements:
- processor: Pentium IV
- operating memory RAM: 100 MB per user
- operating system: Windows 2000 and higher
- hard-disk capacity: 2 GB for the software components and metadata, plus capacity for the expected volume of scanned documents
- a server administrator who can carry out the following:
- back-up and archive data
- install software updates and upgrades
- podporu používateľov,
- install related software on clients (e.g. plug-in for mail client)
- spend working time solving problems and maintaining the server or develop personal expert knowledge
Cloud computing installation
The possibility of having an application which you use on your PC, but which is physically installed elsewhere, is relatively unfamiliar as yet. This kind of approach is called CLOUD COMPUTING”, as if installations are dispersed in various locations, which users in fact do not need to know. This is also known in other terms as using software as a service, with the link SaaS – Software as a Service).
Secure data on the “open sea” of the internet
Your data are secure in the DOC Q application, even though you work on the open internet. How is this possible? The answer lies in the secure https protocol.